CLASS of 1983 Code Name: DOC

Here is another character that I wanted to recreate using primarily MTF parts. The G.I. Joe Team's first medic, DOC!



When the Marauder WWII Kickstarter first launched and I saw the design for the WWII British soldiers, I knew this was a custom I wanted to tackle. Doc is created using the torso of the WWII British trooper and the waist/legs of a Contractor-Ops. I swapped out the British trooper's forearms for the "Buck"rolled-sleeve forearms.

The ARAH Doc figure has a pretty unique design, and I wanted to capture as much of it as possible. For the pill bottle shirt pocket, I used the double-grenade loop inserting the plug-tips from some elbow joints. For the test tube pants pockets, I used c-clips with lightsaber tips glued in place. The holster is a standard holster with a WWII British belt cut and glued in place as the strap. The glasses are some clear resin cast glasses from Avac's Lab. I cannot stress how cool these glasses are. I wanted the ARAH "green" look to the glasses, but still retaining some of the translucency. So, I colored the inside portion of the lenses with a green Sharpie marker and then colored both sides of the earpieces. The helmet is a green ARAH Doc helmet from the Battle Pack. I would have preferred to use a tan helmet, but just decided to use what I had on hand. I painted and weathered the helmet just like the figure (described below). The helmet fits the MTF Sentinel head just fine with no modifications.

I painted the upper body with an Apple Barrell khaki paint. Then gave the entire figure a wash in a slightly darker khaki. I first topped the paint off with a coat of matte finish, but it was a little too glossy for my liking. So, I went over that with one coat of Testor's dull coat which knocked enough of the gloss away, yet leaving a slight sheen. I am super stoked on how this figure turned out!


If you have seen my previous custom Doc, then this info won't be new to you, but I fixed what I believe to be a big error on the ARAH Doc filecard and that is listing Doc's secondary military specialty as a "Chaplain's Assistant," and yet stating that Doc was a pacifist, non-combatant. A Chaplain's Assistant serves as a Chaplain's bodyguard and by nature cannot be a non-combatant. Likewise, Chaplains automatically serve Officers, which I think was Hama's original intent and maybe it got miscommunicated somewhere. I like to think of Doc as someone who's is actually pretty tough and loves guns, but due to the nature of his "calling" serves in the military as a non-combatant.

Comments

Popular Posts