CLASS OF 1984 Code Name: STORM SHADOW

The 50th Storm Shadow version 49 is an almost perfect update to the 1984 ARAH Storm Shadow (minus not having short sleeves). So, I knew I did not want to tackle making a 1984 "ninja" Stormy. I liked the idea from Rise of Cobra of Storm Shadow running around in civilian clothing. I mean, come on, he can't run around in his ninja pajama when he's, say, buying a gallon of milk! 

When I saw the Marvel Spider-Man vs. Mr. Negative 2-pk, I found the "perfect" base for a civilian Storm Shadow. I put "perfect" in quotes, because the action figure, in and of itself, is lacking in a couple of areas, especially when compared to the "Professor X" action figure the build is based on. Besides the cheaper plastic, my main complaint is that the thighs utilize a snap-in hip articulation, rather than the traditional Hasbro 2-pc hip thigh held together with a set screw. Other than that, this is pretty good figure.


The only "customizing" really to this figure was (1) paint the neck post flesh tone. I used a Tamiya flesh tone paint, (2) swap out the hands for better articulated ones. I think these are from Life Line, and (3) swap out the white tennis shoes with black winged-tip shoes from "Arctic" Cobra Commander.

As you can see, I blended some of the file card info (particularly the file name) from various Stormy file cards.


If Hasbro were to ever release a character like this (in civilian clothing), I think they would have to include an alternate "ninja" head and some weapons. Not sure how many kids are actually buying the Marvel Spidey vs Mr. Neg 2-pack, but I doubt it's for the (boring) Mr. Negative (no weapons) action figure. Collectors and customizers, however, are buying this 2-pack exclusively for the Mr. Negative figure.

Comments

Popular Posts