Code Name: COMIC BOOK VIPER OFFICER

I started a big custom project I like to call the "Blue Shirt Legion." As I have mentioned in previous blogs, I LOVE "blue shirt" Cobras. I think this is because from 1982 to 1986, "blue shirts" made up the bulk of the Cobra Legion. So, in 1986, when the "Cobra Viper" was released, I just did not like this figure. To me, Cobra Commander should be the only Cobra with a "chrome dome" helmet.

However, I love the idea of most Cobra troopers having a "Viper" style code name. In 1986, Hasbro began this pattern of "Viper" code names with the "Viper," Motor-Viper," Strato-Viper," and Air-Viper (AVAC = Air Viper Advanced Class).

Being highly influenced by Hiss Tank forum member, HissHissFangFang's O13 Cobra project and the concept of these characters being "anti-Joes" (or the counterpart to a particular Joe character), I jumped into my custom "Blue Shirt Legion" Project.

The first "Viper" to display is a simple repaint of the Dollar General Cobra figure.



I like to call this a "Comic Book" or "Marvel-esque" Viper Officer. Due to the limited comic book color palettes, and to make the characters more vibrant, Marvel Comics often depicted Cobra soldiers with red face masks and yellow web gear. Hasbro offered some "Comic Book" Cobra figures in the 25th-style action figures, but (to date) have not in the POC/50th style sculpts.

This was a simple repaint. I painted the face mask with Citadel Evil Sunz Scarlet and the knee pads with Citadel Yriel Yellow. I gave the knee pads a slight wash to tone down the brightness. 

The helmet is a custom from Hiss Tank forum member "paraviper" (eBay seller cobra1678). The helmet is basically the POC/50th/DG Cobra helmet with a raised officer chevron. The blue dye he uses is an almost perfect match to the DG blue Cobra. However, I think I painted the helmet with Citadel Kantor Blue which is an even better match.

I really think Hasbro should capitalize on Cobra variants like they did with the 25th style figures.

Comments

Popular Posts