CLASS OF 1984 Code Name: THUNDER

I never had a Thunder or Slugger when I was kid. The vehicle looked interesting to me, I just never saw one out in retail. So, fast forward to adulthood and Thunder is sort of one of those mandatory characters that I'm not totally interested in.

In my "Joeverse," I see the Armor Division/Tank Crew as a 4-man team of: Commander, Gunner, Loader, and Driver. Thunder fulfills the role of "Tank Gunner." I thought this fit his specialty as the Slugger (self-propelled howitzer) driver.



The figure is a simple parts swap and paint job. Each of my "Armor Division" characters utilize the "Resolute" style pants giving them a bit of uniformity. The "tanker" helmet (from Avac's Lab) and Baroness goggles are sort of place holders until Avac's Lab restocks the custom Thunder helmet set. So, expect an update as soon as that day arises.


I bought the Slugger from a local collector out of Rogers, AR. It has vintage Canadian stickers. So, I'm kind of torn between keeping the vintage stickers or changing them our with new, repro stickers. While searching through an Encyclopedia of Military Weapons, I think I may have found some inspiration for the Slugger. The chassis/wheel design looks very similar to a Cadillac Gage V-300 Commando armoured personnel carrier while the howitzer cannon and rear rake resemble an M110 203mm Self-Propelled Howitzer.

Comments

Popular Posts